Thursday, July 09, 2015

This is from the Charleston "Post and Courier."

Thank you South Carolina.

I don't know what it is to be an African American to realize my friends, relatives and elected officials are in continual threat of death because of the hate filled values of some people. I do know it scares me to think about their safety. I feel helpless to protect them, but, this is a beginning to tell those that hate it will not be tolerated. 

I appreciate this action by the South Carolina legislation. It and Governor Haley have acted to honor State Senator Pinckney. I don't want to imagine what it would be like today, if the South Carolina House acted any differently. It was a great act of love of brethren we witnessed in this legislation and I thank you very much.

Rep. Wendell Gilliard and other representatives of the Lowcountry gather to remember the victims of the Emanuel AME Church shootings before the House voted early Thursday morning to bring down the Confederate flag from the Statehouse grounds. Paul Zoeller/Staff 

July 8, 2015
Cynthia Roldan 

...House members (click here) first approved of the bill on a 93-27 vote around 12:58 a.m. They followed up with a second and final 94-20 vote around 1:11 a.m. 

Gov. Nikki Haley said in a written statement that House members, as senators did before them, served the state and her people with great dignity. 

“I’m grateful for their service and their compassion,” Haley said. “It is a new day in South Carolina, a day we can all be proud of, a day that truly brings us all together as we continue to heal, as one people and one state."... 

There are more pictures, including, Rev. Jessie Jackson (click here).