Monday, March 23, 2015

Here is some food for thought.

I like reading alternative authors. They are fascinating and I support their ideas and work because they provide an opposing view. I am not a sheep going over a cliff by some extremist that will destroy the American economy and change the face of the global community. I do, however, entertain other's thoughts in deciding about the world I live in. It is a good thing.

'Journey' (click here) is an overworked word these days, but I can think of none other to describe the making of a documentary film. Ten years ago, a film of mine could be made in six months, even less. The main work was the research, the journalism.Whenever I felt confident I had the basis of a 'story', I would go to the ITV Network in the UK and seek a broadcast commission. If that was forthcoming, ITV would fund the production. The difference now is that I, the film-maker, must raise most of the production money. Also, my documentaries have changed considerably in recent years. They are now made for the cinema as well as TV, and for the internet....

John Pilger is one of those authors. He has been prolific in his life and writes books and not just articles for others to consider. He wrote much of his early work with grants. He never had anything else to worry about, he simply explored the course of human events and the potential for a world different than it is today.

In some ways he is the Hadron Collider of alternate thought. I shouldn't go that far, but, in some ways that is a somewhat fair analogy.

Today, the grants he applied for; not simply given to him; are disappearing. The question is why? 

Let me pose this question.

What happens to freedom of thought and will when only a small handful of people control the entire wealth on Earth?

I am not going to answer that question for anyone but myself.