Thursday, July 11, 2013

I want to thank the media that covered the trial in regard to the death of a promising teenager in our country. It was important. I realize there are some criticisms about the coverage, but, the trial was short and the realization of the facts important.

I think it will make a great deal of difference to all communities involved in this absolute tragedy.

I want to just mention the episode people experienced with Rachel Jeantel. I believe it was important we all witnessed her reality. Eventually, the defense lawyers came to understand her and she found fortitude to withstand the questioning. 

But, the part I want to speak to is the racial epithets. They existed both with Mr. Zimmerman and Mr. Martin. One person knew they were racial epithets while the other did not.

An epithet in it's purest sense is a characterizing word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of the name of a person or thing. It becomes disparaging when adjectives are added to it. I am not suggesting Ms. Jeantel's use was unique, but, there is a reality that deserves recognition.

She stated Mr. Martin called the man following him a "...crazy, ass, cracker..." She also stated, when asked, it was not a racial comment. I found that interesting. She really meant it and I was glad she spoke up for her understanding. 

See, her 'ego defenses' allowed for those comments to describe those she didn't know but grouped together in an understanding defining the group. She used those group definitions to define her place in life. She didn't see a 'crazy ass cracker' as a racial slur because it defended her from others that might call her racial epithets as well. 

It is easy to be called a name if in defense one sees in the minds eye an equal name of those inflicting what most would consider an insult. It provides for peace within the mind and soul so as to not be considered less a person.

So, while Americans mull over how a black woman can openly state a racial insult was not really an insult, they need to consider their own understanding and how none of what was said that evening involved them at all. 

I wish he was still here and I wish that gun never existed.