Monday, June 17, 2013

"Good Night, Moon"

First Quarter

54% Full

We see things differently in the USA these days. We don't take war lightly anymore. Many, many of us think there is a better way.

My sincerest sympathies to the Stokely family. 



"While he was in Iraq, at night I couldn't sleep," (click here) Robert Stokely says of his son, Michael.

Sgt. Michael Stokely served in the Georgia Army National Guard. He was deployed to Iraq in 2005.

"I used to look at the moon a lot," Robert says, "and I told Mike, 'When you see the moon, know that eight hours later I'll see it too, and I'll think about you.' "

On Aug. 8, 2005, Michael called his father, and Robert asked if he would still be coming home in two weeks. "I can't take this anymore," he said.
"[Michael] said, 'I love you, and I'll see you soon.' And those were the last words I heard from him," Robert says.

Michael Stokely, 23, was killed by an improvised explosive device eight days after their conversation. He died on the side of the road....