Friday, May 03, 2013

"Stand and Fight?"

That is their bumper sticker.

Fight?

That means there is something they need to fight for, like unconstitutional content of the gun culture. That isn't about the member, it is about the manufacturer.

I suppose it is no surprise I agree with Captain Mark Kelly, but, he is eminently qualified to speak for the interests of those seeking a safer USA. His stand is balanced and does not insult the US Constitution. 

Perhaps a better name for the NRA convention should be "Aim High." It would provide a real foundation for examination of ethics, morals and the place for hunting and sport in the organization.

NRA leadership should refocus its priorities (click here)

Background checks and gun safety need to be part of platform

By Mark Kelly | May 1, 2013 | Updated: May 1, 2013 6:55pm

As a former Houstonian, I'm glad to see the National Rifle Association is holding its annual convention in Space City. I lived and worked not far from the George R. Brown Convention Center and I am confident that the thousands of NRA members who attend this year's meeting will find a friendly and welcoming city. I am certain you will have a fabulous time.

I have often considered joining the NRA myself, and if I had, maybe I would be there with all of you this weekend. Unfortunately, today there are many important issues that your leadership and I no longer agree upon.
But first, let's try to find some common ground. Here's something we can agree on: We should thank the majority of the NRA's 4 million members who are law-abiding citizens who use their guns responsibly. Now, I want to speak to the 74 percent of those people - more than 3 million - who supported expanded background checks. Some of those people probably joined the NRA before 1999 - you know, the year that Executive Vice President and CEO Wayne LaPierre testified in favor of background checks.
Let me set the record straight: Gun rights and gun safety go hand in hand. Gabby and I respect the right of Americans to own guns; we own guns ourselves and we use them. NRA members know this about gun rights and gun safety. That's why so many of you support expanding background checks.
I grew up around guns. My mom and dad were cops and then I joined the military, where I saw combat in Iraq and Kuwait. Gabby owns a gun that we would often shoot. She has even used the range at the NRA's headquarters in Virginia. So have I. Gabby supported a lot of "pro gun" federal legislation, such as upholding Second Amendment rights for citizens who live in our nation's capital.
Like so many of you, we know that preventing dangerous people from getting guns doesn't affect our ability to buy or use our guns responsibly. And that's why the NRA leadership throws out a lot of doomsday scenarios, fear-mongering and yelling in order to distract people from a critical distinction: What most members of the NRA want from the organization and what the leadership is actually doing are not the same....