Sunday, March 03, 2013

The Church likes to say the next Sacrament is Communion. Not really.

The next sacrament that scares a kid half to death is penance. It is considered a sacrament of healing.

In order to accept Communion (the body of Christ - I'll get to that) the church sees this sweet innocent child as tainted.

So, a child bearly in the second grade has to come to terms with the idea they are sinful in life. It is kind of a weird thing, but, you sort of get your head around it by reciting the Ten Commandments and the Fourth one is the real clincher. 

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which The Lord your God gives you." Exodus 20:12 RSV

The Fifth Commandment did it for most of us. We got the picture. Obey Jesus like you obey parents. That pretty much says it all, so going into the confessional was kinda okay. You could tell a man on the other side of a curtain that you stole your sister's allowance and all you had to do was say enough prayers to cleanse the soul. He never made you give it back. That was cool. So going to confession was like the best thing that could happen, unless you were really convinced you were going to die between Sundays and and Saturday evening confessions.

My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart.
In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good 
I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.
I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more,
and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us.
In His name, my God, have mercy.
Amen.


Bless me, father for I have sinned.
It has been seven days since my last confession
and I have...and please don't tell my mother.