Friday, October 19, 2012

North Carolina

Plenty of parking. I told all the electioneering people outside I had already made up my mind and didn't need their fliers. One man asked me if I was having a good day. I stated, "How can you have a good day in North Carolina when physicians and hospitals aren't held responsible for my safety in the emergency room. One has to survive the emergency room to get into the hospital, don't you think that is enough to ruin anyone's day?" He didn't answer me.

There were plenty of four page sample ballots in large type, black ink on yellow sheets, at the door. Taking one was optional.

12 minutes to wait in line to verify my name and address, no ID required. I was in the computer.

13 minutes to wait in line to ballot. There were 12 machines, the back wall was empty and there was plenty help that could have accommodated at least six more machines. Computer balloting. The people assisting and supervising were very helpful and made clear I understood voting for President was separate from voting for a particular party line. She stated depending on my district there may be referendum issues at the end of the general election ballot. There was no coercion of any kind, no directing of my attention except to the way I cast my ballot on the computer. They were available for questions should I not do well with the computer.

5 minutes to ballot. The computer worked as it should, it allowed me a review at the end of my balloting. And then I cast my vote and it stated I had cast my vote.

There was every nationality in line. There were minority voters, Hispanic and African American; young and old. There were many older adults and elderly. The curb side voting was not in play. There were skin heads (White Supremaists) in line and one brought his elderly mother who sat in a chair until he reached the verification desk and balloting desk. She placed her vote alone with no assistance Everyone was very pleasant.

I received my sticker and went home.

Who was my Presidential pick? 

The White Guy. The one running for Vice President along with the Black Guy.