Thursday, November 10, 2011

How much was "Waste Management" paid from Rumsfeld's DOD?

The John D. Dingell VA Medical Center (click title to entry - thank you) is a 2.2 million square foot full service medical center in Detroit Michigan that provides primary, secondary and tertiary care including acute medical, surgical, psychiatric, neurological, and dermatological inpatient care. We also run mental health clinics that include substance abuse treatment, a day treatment center; a community based psychiatric program, a nursing home care unit, and a Health Care for Homeless Veterans (HCHV) program....


I had an uncle that suffered from diabetic neuropathy.  He was a military veteran, received disability after his back was ruined while working in a VA facility.  He was literally picked up by a patient in a mental health ward and slammed into a wall.  When he no longer could work for the VA taking care of other veterans, he sold American flags part time for the local VFW.


He was a nice man.  Great uncle.  He has passed away some years ago.  But, as time went by his diabetes seemed to become more brittle and he began to have problems with circulation in his lower legs.  He eventually would have both amputated.


After the first surgery I went to visit him.  He was out of surgery less than a day, but, was permitted to get into a wheelchair to go to the lobby and visit with me while getting a diet soda.  This is a true story.  Swear.


After we got to the lobby and I found a sunlite area I went to the coffee shop and bought a diet soda for him and a ginger ale for me.  I returned to him as he pulled a small box from his bathrobe pocket.  I sat across from him in a comfortable chair without saying much.  He started the conversation.  He asked me if I knew what was in the box.  It seemed like a sturdy plastic box.  I told him no, I did not know what was in the box.  He told me it was his lower leg.  The box was given to him that morning by his surgeon when making rounds.  I asked if I could hold it and he let me.  It was sealed.  I could not open it.


When my Uncle Len went home the box was on top of his dresser and he showed it to everyone.  It was sort of like a badge of courage.  After a time and with some rehab he went back to selling American flags.  The cremated lower limb never left the top of his dresser.  His lower leg was still with him, but, in a different place, that's all.  When he lost his second lower leg the second box was stationed next to the first and when he died the two boxes were buried with him.


His surgeon and surgery, both of them, were performed at the Detroit, Michigan Veteran's Administration Hospital.  My Uncle Len (Leonard) went there regularly for any of his medical needs, received any medications there and he was always treated with dignity.


I apologize to all the veterans, families, friends and those feeling violated by the very real desceration that occurred by Waste Management.  I am only beginning to understand why Secretary Gates welcomed President Obama as Commander and Chief.  I don't know what can be done, if anything to correct this wrong, but, I am confident Secretary Panetta and Secretary Shinseki will do all they can.



Remains of war dead dumped in Virginia landfill (click here)

By Craig Whitlock and Greg Jaffe
WASHINGTON 


The Dover Air Force Base mortuary for years disposed of portions of troops' remains by cremating them and dumping the ashes in a Virginia landfill, a practice that officials have since abandoned in favor of burial at sea.


The Dover mortuary, the main point of entry for America's war dead and the target of federal investigations for alleged mishandling of remains, engaged in the practice from 2003 to 2008, according to Air Force officials. The manner of disposal was not disclosed to relatives of fallen service members....

It is my feeling all the remains once cremated should have been boxed and placed together in a casket  or other burial container and buried in a common area separate from other tombstones in a national cemetary in the USA.  A place where people could know about for peace of mind.