Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Why do you want an abortion?"

Women:  "I have plans for my life, expecting a baby is not one of them."

Anti-Abortionist:  "Why not carry the baby to full term and give it up to adoption by people that are waiting for the opportunity to be parents and love this child?"

Women:  "I do not feel comfortable with having a child, it would be embarrassing and complicate my relationship.  A relationship that has potential to be a life long relationship.  We are not seeking to be parents."

Anti-Abortionist:  "But, certainly if he loves you and you explain to him this is important for you to do, he will see it through with you."

Women:  "I said the relationship has a potential to longevity of my entire life.  I did not say it was a 'given.'  The relationship is 'not' in that space where I could take for granted his willingness to see a pregnancy to term to allow for adoption.  We never decided on this birth.  I will not be undone by a fetus I am not going to parent."

Anti-Abortionist:  "But, listen to yourself, you are even entertaining the idea of a full term birth.  Albeit, with reservations.  But, it is a start to making a decision that will be good for you, the baby and potential parents."

Women:  "You don't get it, do you?  You have closed your mind to anything but a woman enthralled with pregnancy, birth and parenthood and/or a childhood of the baby somewhere? 

You don't realize I am a human being that has a mind capable of discerning what I can tolerate in this life and what I can't.  At this time in my life I cannot deal with the idea of a full term pregnancy, I have no support system for being a parent, regardless of the destination of the baby my life would be changed forever.

The fact I have a relationship with a wonderful person I am hoping will become more and how this could radically destroy that does not matter to you. 

You don't care that having a child in the world, adopted, that would come to seek their 'real mother' and 'real father' sometime in the future and the complications that brings matters. 

You believe all I have to do is realize the best relationship I could have in life is with this fetus.  Well, you are wrong.  I want my life arranged the way I want it arranged and I don't want anyone else currently born or unborn to complicate it.  Now, I refuse the ultrasound and I want the abortion now."