Thursday, May 03, 2018

Rev. Pat Conroy is still US House of Representative Chaplin. Thank you.

Dear Speaker Ryan:

As you know, (click here) by letter of April 15, 2018, I tendered my resignation of the position of Chaplain of the United States House of Representatives (hereinafter "House Chaplain") to you, effective May 24, 2018. At this time, and upon advice of counsel, I hereby retract and rescind said resignation for the reasons that follow.

I was elected as House Chaplain on May 25, 2011, and I have honorably served in that role since that time. I was re-elected House Chaplain in every succeeding Congress. I have never been disciplined, nor reprimanded, nor have I ever heard a complaint about my ministry during my time as House Chaplain. It is my desire to continue to serve as House Chaplain in this 115th United States Congress to the end of my current two-year term, and beyond,· unless my services are officially terminated (however that is properly done) or I am not re-elected to the position by the membership of the House....

Never in my life have I witnessed such mistreatment of a Catholic Priest in the United States of America. Rev. Conroy always has guest speakers from every religion. He is a magnificent spiritual leader and should be valued for the noral guidance he brings in prayer that comes with such responsibility.

This should never happen again. I thank Rev. Conroy for his dedication to this country and his steadfast beliefs that the poor have a place of dignity within these borders.