Friday, March 16, 2018

The Miami bridge collapse was an avoidable tragedy. I don't know any such structure that weighs that much. This was a pedestrian bridge. How can a pedestrian bridge weigh that much? Then add wall to wall people on top of the bridge with bicycles and strollers or any other method of travel used by pedestrians and realize the real weight of that bridge. it's ridiculous. It is also ridiculous the traffic wasn't rerouted to install the bridge and there is gross negligence.

I consider the scene horrific.

I find the entire tragedy avoidable. I want to see the inspection reports that allowed it to be used. I don't think the so-called technology is new or innovative. It reminds me of "lift slab construction."

The only way public planners can avoid this type of structure is to invoke standards AND design allowed to exist in a city. Local planners need to have effect city engineers that can provide designs proven to be safe.

There is a lot wrong here. I am sorry it wasn't picked up before the public and it's spending occurred.

Sympathies to all victim's families and friends. This is horrible. Completely horrible that could have been prevented as so many levels.