Friday, July 01, 2016

There was a death with the model S. I would think that should be a real topic for morning coffee. Right?

It continued on it's path although a semi with a white trailer on a sunny day was in front of it.

It is the first after million upon millions of safe miles. The darn thing ran right into the trailer under carriage. It almost fit through the space under the trailer.

I don't know how they know this, but, the driver didn't activate the brake either. Therefore, both the driver and the computer failed. I don't think human judgement should be viewed as a necessary factor when an automatic driver is expected to be safer. Seriously. People are going to let their guard down when a computer is enacted. I betcha folks with automatic driver talk on mobile phones and are far less vigilant to surrounding traffic. 

Automatic drivers are going to create all new types of bad habits for the human driver inside.

You know. Saving lives and all that opposed to ending them. American lives, too. Can't be hatred there. It might be an enlightening feeling for Americans.


July 1, 2016
By David Noland


I’ve owned my 2013 Tesla S (click here) more than three years, and put 66,000 miles on it now.
It still runs great, and it makes me happy every time I drive it. I plan to keep it for at least a few more years.
But I can’t help occasionally peeking at the Tesla Motors online Model S configurator  to check out the prices and features on the newest versions....

The automatic driver cars do not have sensors on their roofs. They can't. If they did the car would be slamming on the brakes with every underpass it approached. The Model S kept moving because the under carriage of the semi was higher than it's sensors. This might be a permanent condition for the car.

Accidents happen because they are accidents. The event survived regardless of any measure of safety society and auto manufacturers institute to prevent tragedy. Insurance carriers know there will always be a degree of liability, regardless of how much safety is built into cars, with the public driving cars.

I am quite confident the computer didn't fail. it simply didn't see the truck due to space under the trailer. I don't think sky and white trailer has a thing to do with it.