Tuesday, January 26, 2016

No one loved to drive a car more than me. Then I couldn't live with myself anymore. I went to work in Boston and lived in a high rise and it provided a lifestyle I could easily call my life.

In Boston I didn't have a car and the mass transit system, including Amtrak, became my connection to my life and I had no problems. I traveled out of town to distant places and friends would come to pick me up on motorcycles or their homes were in short driving distances. My lack of a car didn't mean a darn thing. It set me free. I still owned a car, but, it was parked with my sister about 1000 miles away. I found myself looking at the car costs and realized that would be nice if I could use that for theater tickets.

Today, I live in a nice little town with very upscale values. I have a four wheel drive Jeep because it is a matter of safety. People have to get around in the snow. I bought the Jeep in 2012. Four years later, there is an additional 9000 miles on it. That was nine thousand and not ninety thousand. My average trip into town and running errands is about 25 miles and I'll be gone from the house most of the day. Most of the day because there is a lot of interesting things to do.

It is called a local economy. Young people are talented and put on holiday shows. There are theater groups that volunteer their services while charging a fair price for their tickets so the theater can be maintained up to date. There are sport events and if the real life games don't interest you, there are eateries and taverns that have great screens and LOTS of company to cheer. It makes no sense to me anymore why I would watch any live event at home alone. That is silly.

Am I lecturing? You betcha.

In my young years I was once a over the road long distance truck drive. As a woman as lead driver on a gypsy rig that ran produce coast to coast I got lots of attention. I loved to drive. No accidents. No drinking, no drugs. It is where I found my juices again. It was the best emotional rehab I ever could have. I do not recommend it for everyone. Trust me on that. Today, I am happy with my choices and new life.

Life can be interesting and very comfortable when monies are invested in life rather than rubber on the road. It is about choices. I think cars are an important part of an American's life, but, if driving 20 miles to family and friends rather than 200 or 2000, it gets interesting. Arrival at a destination lasts longer and memories more abundant in spending more time with people rather than traffic.

Think about it.