Sunday, August 18, 2013

Oakland's uncontrollabe gun violence

We have plenty to worry about at home. Al Capone has returned.

August 17, 2013 7:12 PM
...Pastor Gregg Brown moved here nine years ago. Even he has been threatened at gunpoint, right outside his Lutheran church
"I was scared and I'm still scared," he said.
The man with the gun complained about the noisy power washer used to clean the church sidewalk. Brown was told to stop or he'll be shot. "That's how close the crime is," he said.
Eighty-one-year-old Joyce Nichelini has lived Maxwell Park for 42 years.
"I lock a gate now and I lock my door and I have alarms. I even put bars on my house," she said. Yet she acknowledged she doesn't feel safe.
Other residents hope that when the private security patrols begin in a couple of weeks, it will bring a sense of security to a neighborhood most love too much to leave.