Thursday, June 09, 2011

"The Homicide Report" by the LA Times. Wow. They are mostly in their 20s.

But, then there is...

Joshua was shot on the porch of a home while being held by his uncle about 8:30 p.m., LAPD officials said.

Joshua was one year old.

The majority of the killings are gang related.  Have to be.  On a very rare occassion there is a death on the same day between Watts and Carson.  The 'pattern' that a quick glace reveals is death(s) in one of those areas followed by death(s) the next day in the other.  Those are the two largest homicide areas in the city, 68 and 55 respectively.

Showing 41 homicides in Vermont Square since Jan. 1, 2007 (click here)



I'll be reading this map for awhile.  I believe it is a good tool actually. 

I'll tell you something, I worked for about five years at UMDNJ in Newark, NJ.  The stereotypes in the country regarding this violence are completely wrong.  These poeple have lives and they intend to live them, but, they get all confused about the best values of life and they end up dead.  I could tell you stories that would break your heart.  The young men are very implusive.  Add to that guns in their possession and what results are dead friends and otherwise.  They get scared.  They might rob a car and never think they will get caught and pull a gun on each other for no reason at all except they are overloaded with fear.  Then when they realize what they have down will dump a half dead friend in the emergency room doors and hope he lives.

For all the time I worked in Newark, and I loved it there, I have never heard of entire families being killed.  The gangs were young and foolish, but, the familes were traditional with jobs and hopes for their children.  In all the years I worked in Newark I have never, ever, heard of entire familes, even siblings being assassinated or murdered.  Never once.  What the 'HELL' goes on in LA?

Wow.