Wednesday, October 14, 2020

The standards for pregnant women MUST change.

The threat of poverty when "things go wrong" is all to real and it must stop! Now!

October 7, 2020
By Priscilla Blossom

...Early on I had two bouts of unexplained vaginal bleeding. Medically, these frightening episodes are referred to as “threatened abortions.” They both occurred while I was at work, and because I had to leave my post for the E.R., I was subsequently fired. Losing my job meant not only losing my income, but also my health insurance. At a time when I was already terrified of losing my baby, my now-former employer only made my fears worse.

Still, my boyfriend and I got married, then moved into a new apartment with room for a nursery, and assumed our happy little family might yet work out. Months later, though, I would go into preterm labor and give birth to my baby girl. Margaret Hope was only 22 weeks, tiny and fragile, and weighing just under a pound. Eight hours later, she was gone. I never even got to see her face while she was alive.

For months afterward I tried to make sense of the tragedy, and did everything I could to survive it....