Friday, June 21, 2019

E. Jean Carroll

"Trump attacked me in the dressing room of Bergdorf Goodman." (click here)

The plight of beautiful women.

I admire her courage, today, as well as 23 years ago. I find her story commonplace. She was and still is a powerful woman with a magnificent career. When she talks about respect, I find that a defense to prevent an opinion that could hurt her. She is a public figure. She was compromised before it even began and I think her assailant knew that.

She stated she was leaving Bergdorf Goodman while he was entering. Did she ever wonder if he was entering because she was there?

Women do blame themselves for these attacks. Especially women that are used to taking care of themselves and are resilient to life's ups and downs. Women like to be in control and blame themselves as not being smart enough when something like this happens. I don't read minds, I doubt she does either. How could any woman ever blame herself for being attractive and enjoying attention afforded her because she is who she is?

The climate of tolerance of sexual assault is different because of women that came forward that said, "No more." I find her reflection of the women at the border being raped and facing issues of abortion and homelessness in a country that they are not familiar with admirable. She has made a life of worrying about others. I am confident those women would appreciate her focus on them.

Today, E. Jean Carroll came forward about a rape she never spoke of before except for her strictest of confidants. That is a personal accomplishment and I applaud her. We know a lot more about Donald J. Trump we didn't before and it all adds up, doesn't it?

She is a good person, this was not her fault, she had no defense against it and today she is free. I thank her for her honesty. I want her to be free of this burden of all these years and realize a beautiful woman is allowed to receive the attention she considered lighthearted without assault or without the threat of defaming herself by coming forward to report it.

She did the right thing for herself 23 years ago, no different than other women have done the right thing for themselves. The burden is on society, not the women. Rape is serious and women are not stupid for having it occur.

She is as much a great woman today as she was 23 years ago. I hope her life is enjoyable and lighthearted and as graciously social for the rest of her life. I thank her for joining the "Me Too" movement. It is a great moment for all of us, too.