Saturday, March 31, 2012

I fully expect Dick Cheney to be as tenacious as he has always been.

Nowhere on this blog will anyone ever read 'Go die.' 


If I am an advocate for health coverage for every American, it includes all Americans without exception.


Dick Cheney is the furthest from my political center as one can be, but, never in my wildest imagination would I ever wish him ill.


When faced with one's own life, the scenery changes. While I may differ with others, expecting to eliminate my worst political enemy through adverse health and lack of opportunity to save one's own life is not my idea of an opportunity to win over the opposition.


All to often we hear such harsh words from opposing points of view that are so alien to a civilized resolve to our nation's problems there are no ways to find common ground. Hatred resolves nothing. Expecting every American to be autonomous in providing their health care is unrealistic. 


I fully expect the former Vice President to completely recover. His improved health will be tempered with some tolerance to medications that support his heart transplant, but, he will have a much improved health status for as long as he does.


I am not going to speak to the idea this was unjust for someone in their seventies to receive a transplant, but, instead reflect on the fact that every American is valuable and worth the care we, as a nation, can give them. This very well is a landmark to our country whereby aged Americans can receive supportive recovery from chronic illness where all body systems are in good condition and allow such a life transformation.


In realizing that a heart transplant is a radical surgery for longevity, I remind myself of the genetic therapies currently being investigated that actually grow new arteries and heart muscle. There are answers to our dilemmas as Americans and they are all very promising. We need to move in the direction of promises the future holds. Medical ethics are good for people and I trust the physicians and researchers that believe in longevity and the promise of it for every citizen.


We need to end the threat of pre-mature death to all Americans.


There was one time in our country's history where a severe auto accident was nothing but death. The auto industry has worked long and hard with the guidance of government to provide vehicles that carry us in far more safe models than ever before. I


If, as a nation, we never 'go there' we will never 'get there.' Our history proves it. 


There is absolutely no moral content to the idea that if a former Vice President is worthy of life saving surgery, that every other American isn't either. 


I wish the Cheney family much happiness in their ability to have their loved one with them that much longer.