Sunday, April 22, 2012

In the day and age of Bullying, I would think teachers are good for students.



It is called ethics and peer review. If teachers have the time to 'be a friend' on Facebook to their students, I would consider that special connection a chance to save a life and improve the mental health and educational functioning of their students. 

When I was in school, I was a nerd. I was a good student. But, I also had teachers I considered to be friends. Not confidants. That was exclusive to my social friends and activities, but, I did consider teachers to be friends. I learned from them and felt comfortable in the classroom. I considered their insight important and they were esteemed. 

I never had a teacher call upon my parents for any correction in my behavior or my attention to studies. I find nothing inappropriate in children finding a friend with their teachers. Teachers know where to draw the line and they certainly can council a peer when their attachment to any particular student is too intense. 

There are roles of responsibility for teachers to intervene with troubled students. I doubt if a teacher that sincerely cares for their students can passively collect a paycheck and not find satisfaction in a job well done. Teachers are connected to students in a very different way than their parents and it should never be overlooked as invaluable. 

Teachers walk fine line with students on Facebook (click here)


New York --
Should students and teachers ever be friends on Facebook? School districts across the country, including the nation's largest, are weighing that question as they seek to balance the risks of inappropriate contact with the academic benefits of social networking....