Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Judge Ginsburg is right. It's a direct attack on women's health and happiness. Not all women find pregnancy and children a joy. That is their right

Posted by Picasa

The decision is going to throw the matter to the legislature. There are a lot of implications regarding women and their best outcome when they find they have an unwanted pregnancy. This decision is going to open back street abortion clinics all over again.

My initial reaction was wrong. I thought banning Partial Birth Abortion was correct in that it was a late term issue and one that was mostly cruel. But, this decision mixes the entire matter with Abortion Rights of all kind and quite frankly I am a bit astounded.

-- It bans safe and effective abortions as early as 12-15 weeks, which impermissibly burdens the right to obtain an abortion before viability.

-- It fails to make any exception to the ban when a woman's health is atstake, which violates established constitutional protections that havebeen in place for 30 years.

-- It uses broad language subject to wildly different interpretations that cover steps doctors routinely take in performing abortions in the second trimester, thus making it impossible for doctors to understand exactly what is prohibited.

I believe the states are going to have to legislate to protect women. Perhaps in a way that will challenge this decision all over again. I don't want to wait to find statistics of dead women are escalating while we are waiting for effective law to regain it's balance.

The Court has done an injustice to women and quite frankly they have lost my support when I actually thought I could find solice in having late term pregnancy protected while still protecting women. I am quite taken back by this blatant disregard for women, the practice of medicine, and confidentiality.

Women will be traveling outside the country again. This is a political Supreme Court and not one interested in the well being of the women of this nation.

Wow, didn't expect this mess. For as much as I wanted to see late term abortion stopped, I cannot stand behind this decision. It's a darn shame. This is treating women as chattel all over again.