Friday, May 18, 2012

Facebook? I don't know, as an IPO I have some moral issues with it.

People are trying to tie Bono with it, but, it is an IPO. Ya know?



Mark Zuckerberg's IPO challenge: A company that can 'friend' the 99 percent (click here)

Will the new publicly traded Facebook cater singularly to its wealthy shareholders? Mark Zuckerberg must strive to include ‘we the users,’ who made such a megabillion dollar concept possible, in his corporate model. He can start by offering a free share to each Facebook user.

By Alexander Heffner / May 18, 2012
...Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive officer, contends this maxim remains at the core of the organization’s purpose. And on the pages of Facebook, these words still ring true, from facilitating communication between people who reside hemispheres apart, to disseminating the messages of citizens protesting repressive regimes like Syria’s, to connecting organ-seekers with potential donors....


I may simply leave the community. I can intellectualize the 'good side' of Facebook and Bono's involvement to whatever extent he is involved, but, this is still Wall Street.


I never participated with "My Space" as soon as I realized it was connected to FOX, so why patronize a site I no longer agree with in its moral content?


I don't see a benefit to allowing Wall Street stockholders dictate the destination of the social media. I simply don't. Facebook will change hands at one point and then what? I sincerely believe there is a moral danger to being involved with the site now and I can't believe having friends on this site will be benevolent to our understanding of each other. 


I want this generation to be successful, but, will that happen in a financial environment as hostile and volatile as Wall Street? Makes no sense to me. No different than the Republicans seeing an opportunity for profit taking from any community funding site. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?