Thursday, February 18, 2021

This entry is not to discourage anyone from vaccination.

had my first dose of “Moderna” vaccine. I had no adverse reaction.

I did have a reaction to it about an hour after the injection. I felt fatigue in the way of needing rest. I think I dropped my blood pressure because immediately my heart started pounding in my chest. That pounding lasted 15 minutes. I had no chest pain. My heart never missed a beat. 

I think the body’s reaction to an mRNA vaccine is a brief sense of shock. The mRNA is a foreign body entering the body and ultimately the blood stream. Like, getting an infusion of the wrong blood type only far, far less severe. The human body can only react so many ways to day to day life and in this case a vaccine against a deadly virus. 

I never was worried that it was harming me. I recognized that my body was taking appropriate measures to identify and counter a strange substance that shouldn’t be there. No injection site inflammation or anything like that. Just a brief episode of what I believe was mild shock.

I am among the current population prioritized to receive the Moderna shot. I feel lucky today and know after six weeks from today and a second shot I will have achieved 95 percent immunity from SARS-CoV-2.