Thursday, March 08, 2007

 
Posted by Picasa


March 8, 2007

1314 gmt

The Southern Hemisphere. It accumulation of heat over Antarctica caught my attention a few days ago. At first it made little sense as up to that point the heat intrusions on to the ice continent had always come from other 'surface' areas of Earth. In other words, Antarctica never received heat intrusions from any other sources except offshore. It never produced any of it's own because there is not the climate for that.

I had always kept in the back of my mind that one day if there was a continued heating of Earth, the upper troposphere could be like a reservoir for all that heat. I tended NOT to consider that a viable option as I thought the vortices so hard at moving air around Earth would also provide a source of dissipation to the stratosphere. (click on) Evidently, as it appears to me, that is not happening.

What I do believe is happening is discussed above in three entries.