Thursday, October 25, 2012

I met a soldier's mother.

She was on the Carolina Line when I was traveling by train. 

She was lower income and we struck up a conversation, she was sitting in the seat across the aisle only one row forward. Don't know how we did, maybe it was her smile or her body language, but, before you know it we were talking about her son. We had aisle seats. Maybe it was because my seat mate with the window seat was fast asleep. That might have had something to do with it.

But, her son volunteered for eight dedicated years in the military. He recently finished as a Marine Sargent and got an apartment outside of the LeJeune Gates. It is not unusual at all for LeJeune soldiers to do that. Some never leave the city surrounding the base.

She hadn't seen him for six years. He was not married. And she was worried about him not being able to find the bus station where she was arriving. I told her the mobile services would probably work since the WiFi was working so well. She stated she didn't have a mobile phone. So, I pulled mine out and gave it to her. I told her to talk as long as she wanted.

She knew the phone number and while on the phone asked one of the attendants where exactly the bus station would be. She was looking for an address. The attendant stated she didn't know exactly, but, would find out and hastily went to the front of the train car.

The attendant came back in a few minutes with the address written down and handed it to her.

She spoke to her son for about 10 minutes before she said, "Oh, a nice lady gave me her mobile phone to call you." Her son realized she didn't have a mobile phone and was wondering how she reached him while still traveling.

When she got off from her stop my mobile phone was in my possession and she hugged me. She waved to me as the train left the station. I know if I meet her again we will recognize each other and I'll hear more about one of our finest soldiers and how well he is doing in life.